Water baptism is an important step of obedience that shows others we have personally trusted Jesus for our salvation. When Christians are baptized, they are submerged under water to identify with the death and burial of Jesus and raised out of the water to identify with His resurrection. People often have questions regarding water baptism: Why be baptized? Should I be baptized again? Please take a few minutes and read the frequently asked questions about water baptism below.
If you have questions about the baptism in the Holy Spirit, here is an informative message from Pastor Mike.
Are you ready to be baptized?
- If you have placed your trust in Jesus Christ, it’s time to take your next step of water baptism. Rez holds a water baptism celebration each month following StepONE of Growth Track. (check our events calendar for the next date). These times are a celebration of life and the transforming love of Jesus Christ. We encourage you to invite family and friends to attend and celebrate with you.
- To schedule your water baptism, please fill out this form.
- Tell us your story! We love hearing how God is impacting our community. If you would like, take a few minutes and compose a brief snapshot of your story and share it with us.
Why be baptized?
Those who are baptized are following Jesus’ example and obeying His command.
- “As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, ‘This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.'” Matthew 3:16–17.
- “Then Jesus came to them and said, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.'” Matthew 28:18–20.
What is the significance of baptism?
Water baptism is a public declaration of three very important things:
- You are a follower of Jesus Christ.
“Those who accepted his message were baptized.” Acts 2:41
- You are beginning a changed life in Christ.
“We were therefore buried with him through water baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.” Romans 6:4
- You are part of a new family.
“So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.” Galatians 3:26–27
I have already been baptized. Should I be baptized again?
- Your water baptism should have signified you becoming a follower of Jesus, beginning a changed life, and uniting with a new family. If your baptism did not reflect this change of life, then you should prayerfully consider being baptized again.
Can my child be baptized?
- We will baptize anyone who understands what water baptism symbolizes and wants to make that personal public declaration. We encourage any parents to partner with our Adventure Kids and Impact Student ministries to guide your children through these decisions of faith.
Can my infant be baptized or dedicated?
- Throughout the New Testament, the Bible teaches that baptism is a public expression of worship symbolizing the new life we have when we follow Jesus. In the Bible we see that Jesus’ parents dedicated him to the Lord (Luke 2:22–40), and he was later baptized as an adult (Matthew 3:16–17).We understand that some churches practice “baptism of confirmation” for children. This ceremony is intended to be a commitment between the parents and God on the behalf of the child. The parents promise to raise their child in the faith until the child is old enough to make his or her own personal confession of Christ. This custom began about 300 years after the Bible was completed and is different from the biblical examples of new believers being baptized to publicly profess their faith in Jesus.
Baby dedications take place during our Saturday 5 pm, and Sunday 11 am services. To see dates and schedule a baby dedication, click here or contact us by phone at 970-667-5479.